Verb: pootle
poo-t(u)l To move in a leisurely unhurried way,
with no real purpose


Wednesday, 23 October 2013

Quintessentially Quince ...

♥ 
Walking through Bradford-on-Avon the other day I noticed that someone had a basket of Quinces ( is quinces the plural of quince or is it like sheep and sheep ? ) for sale out on their porch. Having enjoyed my first experience of chutney making a few weeks ago I thought I'd give Quince jelly a go.
I'm sorry to say this Quinces but you are not the most beautiful of fruits, so I can't say it was the look of them that grabbed me but more that having tasted some when out to dinner with friends I wanted to try making my own.
 
 
So, I found a recipe online and set to washing, coring and quartering. Looking at this picture it looks like I've got a pan full of conker cases but I promise its not.

 
Still loving my new preserving pan ...

 
 Not looking much better as the cooking process continues especially as it all has to be pulped down with a potato masher.

 
Very glad I bought the muslin straining bag and stand as I think hanging bits of muslin from stools and the like could have all got a bit messy.
 

Uummmm - still not grabbing me visually...

 
...but after a couple of hours of drip, drip, dripping I think we're beginning to get there. With sugar added and some vigorous boiling ( no photo's of the boiling sugar bit as Mum very successfully drummed in to me the dangers of boiling sugar ! ) look what happens...

 
...you end up with the most beautiful ruby pink jelly.
♥ 


The little jars looked really beautiful with the autumn sun shining through them.

 





 
With covers on and labels attached that's another little tick on my Christmas pressie to do list.
 
♥ 



10 comments:

  1. Lovely. I've never made quince jelly but it is the most beautiful colour. What wonderful gifts. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it looks so perfect! How do you get it to set so clear? Mine had teeny bubbles when I spooned it into the jars, but otherwise clear. I'm a newbie when it comes to quince jelly...Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't find quince this year, my neighbour usually has some so hopefully next year. Your jelly looks lovely, so clear and a perfect colour. The covers and labels look lovely too so I hope the receivers of your jelly enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies ! I have no idea how it came out so clear or without bubbles - totally luck not skill !
    Thank you for popping by,
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are so beautiful! You did a great job, I forsee a great future in preserving for you. Hope that you love eating them as much as I am loving looking at them. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the little labels and covers. Sooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very impressed Kate!!...It looks really lovely in your jars with the polka dot covers and labels and such a pretty colour too...gorgeous gifts...
    Happy Sunday!
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE quince jelly. Sadly I don't have enough quinces this year to make a batch so I'm planning to make up some quince, apple and pear jelly tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie
      Ooh that sounds delicious, maybe I'll try that next year. Isn't the colour of the hydrangeas absolute gorgeous - a perfect vintage blush pink, they'll look beautiful inside.
      Kate x

      Delete

Thank you for dropping by - I LOVE receiving your comments and get really excited when I see a new one has been added. I read every single one and try to send a reply whenever I can. ♥