Verb: pootle
poo-t(u)l To move in a leisurely unhurried way,
with no real purpose


Monday 27 April 2015

Its been a bit of a Fairytale....


Growing up I always thought Goldilocks was a bit of a madam,
way too picky and a tad spoilt in to the bargain ....
but ohhhh, how I empathise with her now !
 
There's no porridge involved in my tale just lots of yarny loveliness that
 I just couldn't make up my mind over.
 
Never have I been so indecisive.
I'm a 'know what I like straight away' kind of a girl and
not one who's given to being particularly particular.
 
It all should have been so simple,
I found a picture of the perfect wrap that I wanted to make
 to wear at Megs wedding.
 
I tracked down the pattern,
decided on the colour and,
even better,
it was going to be quick to make.
 

Yarn was bought that was as soft and light as air.
Stitches were cast on and the knitting began ..
but oh !
 
 
 
 
... the wool was too fluffy,
 the colour was a bit dark
and the sparkly bits in it were just a bit too sparkly.
 
Further yarn searching took place and
the dreamiest of dreamiest of silk yarn was ordered
and duly arrived through the post.
Stitches were cast on and the knitting began ...
but oh !
 
 
.... the yarn was too silky,
the finish too thin
and there wasn't enough gold in the pot to pay for as much as was needed.
 
 
A different yarn was needed and this time the search went far and wide,
right across the land....
until...
the most heavenly threads of Mulberry Silk and Baby Alpaca were found.
 
 
 
Stitches were cast on and the knitting began
and oh !
 
 
IT WAS JUST RIGHT !
 
The colour was sublime
the fluff was just fluffy enough
and two strands worked together made the perfect thickness.
 


 
Before long, the needles were clickety clicking
and the wrap was getting bigger and bigger..
and all will end happily ever after.
 
And....
this wrap will now forever be known as The Goldilocks Wrap.
 
( and should you ever need to send out a search for this divine yarn you
 will find it hidden in the kingdom of Loveknitting.com !)
 
THE END.

31 comments:

  1. So glad you've found the perfect yarn. It certainly looks divine, and I love the colour. I shall look forward to seeing Goldilocks going to the ball. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's beyond perfect CJ, thank goodness for happy endings, K xx

      Delete
  2. I am glad that you found the right yarn in the end! It will be a wonderful shawl and a great reminder of the day I am sure, plus afterwards you can have the fun of finding the right projects for your other yummy yarns! I look forward to seeing more as and when! Hope you have a great week!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't even thought of that of Amy !! Yay to more projects to come ! K xx

      Delete
  3. Oh dear Kate, all the yarns look gorgeous but it's so disappointing when they don't fit the bill. I'm glad you found your perfect yarn in the end - looks lovely. Looking forward to seeing your Goldilocks Wrap. Have a lovely knitty week! Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be a grand reveal when the wrap is finished ! Have a good week too Jane, K xx

      Delete
  4. Lol I'm indecisive with everything, it drives me nuts. I love that Drops Baby Alpaca, I have a load of that waiting for the right cardigan pattern but nothing I find seems to do the yarn justice.
    Look forward to seeing your finished wrap :)
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad its not just me then Jill ! Quite out of character for me though. Have a great week K xx

      Delete
  5. Lol your post brought a smile to my face :) Glad you found the perfect wool, looking forward to seeing the end result xxxxxx Leah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your story...felt like a bedtime story! I love happy endings! Can't wait to see the finished Goldilocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just can't beat a good fairytale can you Jane, I love happy endings too ! Have a good week, K xx

      Delete
  7. That yarn does look really nice all knitted up! Looking forward to seeing the finished wrap. Glad you found exactly what you wanted. Sometimes it can be impossible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this was a tricky bit of choosing for sure, but hopefully on the homerun now, K xx

      Delete
  8. Loved your story and also know how important it is to get the yarn just right. Can't wait to see the finished article - btw, all the yarn looks heavenly!
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That yarn is just lovely. You guys have access to all the good yarn in the UK (apologies to our Aussie Sheep). Can I ask what colour it is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lindy, the colour is a pinky/creamy shade and the shade number is 1306. K xx

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much Kate. I did wonder if it was the Powder. It looks a little more taupe cream in your photos on my screen, and a little more pinky cream on Love knitting on my screen. Either way, it is lovely. Looks like I'll have to find myself another one of those secret drawers I have around the house filled with yarn.

      Delete
  10. Hi, I've came across your blog by chance via Mary Janes Tea Room. What a great blog, your work is devine. Sad as I am I have gone through the whole of your blog it is so inspiring the blankets are lovely, well everything you've mad looks absolutely gorgeous. It's inspired me to pick up my needles and get focused again after a break of 18mths. Good luck with the shawl/wrap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there, so lovely to have you here ! I'm very glad that you found me and thank you so much for all your kind words. Enjoy picking up your needles again ! K xx

      Delete
  11. I think we all have a touch of the Goldilocks in us when it comes to knitting something special. So much effort goes into the making that it's important to have the perfect yarn. Looking forward to seeing the finished wrap in all it's glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think you're right Janet - when you put so much in to something you just want it to be as good as it can be ! K xx

      Delete
  12. Oh I so know the struggle to get the right yarn for a project. I'm glad you've found the one that is 'just right'. It looks gorgeous and cannot wait to see it in all its glory! Have a super rest of a week my lovely xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely Vanessa - I'm speeding away now I've finally made my mind up ! K xx

      Delete
  13. I was reading your post with my heart in my mouth - if the 3rd one was wrong, then who knows if you'd have found the perfect one in time. Phew. Can't wait to see the finished shawl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TeeHee - I Know Sally ! Thank goodness for happy endings xx

      Delete
  14. hah what what a brilliant fairy story and I am a real sucker for a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Mitzi ! There's always GOT to be a happy ending, K xx

      Delete
  15. Brilliant, that made me giggle. You must've spent a small fortune on yarn, but I'm sure you'll use it somewhere else, and I totally understand that the yarn had to be perfect for the project, otherwise you wouldn't enjoy working on it or wearing it. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you had a giggle Gillian - fortunately with this all taking place in fairytale land, as far as my husband is concerned, all of the wool cost ' ooh, about a fiver ' and hooray for the joys of online wool shops that take returns ! :-) K xx

      Delete

Thank you for dropping by - I LOVE receiving your comments and get really excited when I see a new one has been added. I read every single one and try to send a reply whenever I can. ♥