Verb: pootle
poo-t(u)l To move in a leisurely unhurried way,
with no real purpose


Friday 15 July 2016

Jenny's Blanket of Hugs



♥ Jenny's Blanket of Hugs 


For those of you who follow my Instagram Feed or Facebook Page you'll know that 
it's been a busy old week and you've probably checked in here for the Square patterns .....
so, here they are everyone. Have fun !

Others of you are probably wondering what on earth I'm banging on about !
Let me explain ....... Some of you may remember that back at the beginning of the 
year I designed a pattern for one of Amanda Bloom's Little Boxes of Crochet.

If you haven't already seen it you absolutely have to check out Amanda's website at
www.littleboxofcrochet. For the past year Amanda has developed her business in to the roaring success that it is today, and it was an absolute pleasure and joy to work with her when I was designing the February box.

What makes Amanda's journey all the more remarkable is the fact that she has done all of this whilst at the same time dealing with some very big body blows. Amanda's beautiful daughter Jenny has been very unwell not only during this past year, but since 2013 when she was first diagnosed with Cancer.
Together they have fought the hardest of fights and I can honestly say that they are two of the strongest people I know. If I am ever faced with anything like this in my lifetime I hope that I can face it with even just 1% of their determination, strength, love and positivity.

Last week Amanda and Jenny received more devastating news when it was found that Jenny's Cancer had returned.
 Both Amanda and Jenny are so loved by so many in our wonderful little Crochet and IG community and it got me thinking wouldn't it be amazing if somehow we could all come together
to show our support.
 That little idea sat at the back of my mind for a couple of days and then all of a sudden it pinged right to the front and shouted out 'BLANKET ! BLANKET ! JENNY NEEDS A BLANKET !'

Since starting to crochet I have always thought that Crochet Blankets made for loved ones are the ultimate way to surround them with hugs, and so, of course, this was the perfect way to send hundreds of hugs to Amanda and Jenny.

I tentatively voiced my idea on IG and Facebook on Tuesday and within 48 hours I had approximately 500 people offering to make blanket squares for Jenny's Blanket of Hugs.

Since then decisions have been made about all the smaller details, colours and yarn have been decided upon ..... and ta-dah, here are the first three squares, hot off the hook !

 

So, here's the plan. The patterns for three different squares are all below. Anyone and everyone is welcome to join in and send a square. As the response has been so overwhelming I think initially we will need to limit donations to a maximum of 3 squares per person.

We have chosen Jenny's favourite colours and so will be working with Hot Pinks, Oranges, and Reds.
Full details of the yarn I used and equivalents are detailed below.

Ideally we would like to have received all the squares by the middle of August, which gives everyone about 4 weeks to get those hooks hooking.

Once your squares are completed they can be sent to the address below and then my job will be to join them all together. Depending on how many squares are received there may need to be a 'Pop-Up' Joining together day ! We'll see how we go.

For my squares I used RICO BABY COTTON SOFT in Candy Pink 30, Fuschia 21, Melon 20 and Red 35. This a DK weight yarn and is 50% cotton, 50% acrylic.

( UK Equivalent yarns: STYLECRAFT CLASSIQUE COTTON in Hot Pink 3668, Poppy 3672, Seville 3670 and Fondant 3094
STYLECRAFT SPECIAL DK in Fondant 1241, Lipstick 1246, Bright Pink 1435 and Spice 1711)

( US, Aus, NZ Equivalent Yarns: RICO COTTON DK in Pumpkin 87, Magenta 13, Fuschia 14, Candy Pink 12 and Red 02
VERA MODA GELATO in Orange 07, Lolly Pink 14 and Coral 05 )


I worked with a 3.5mm hook.

Each finished square measures approx. W 12cm x  H 11cm 

How to make the Plain Squares:

   

Row 1: Begin by making a chain of 24, and then starting in the second chain from the hook work a row of DC ( UK Terms. SC in US terms). 23 sts. At the end of the row chain 1 and turn.


 

Rows 2 to 24: Continue working rows of DC, remembering to Chain 1 and turn at the end of each row. 
Your 24th row will be a wrong side row.

Row 25: ( RS) Work a final row of DC and at the end of the row work 2 DC in to the corner stitch and then continue on around, working a round of DC down the left hand side, along the bottom of the square and up the right hand side, Remember to DC 2 sts in to each corner stitch, to stop the square becoming out of shape.

  

Once you are back at the top right hand corner, join with a Sl St,
finish off and sew in your ends


How to make the striped squares:


Row 1: Begin by making a chain of 24, and then starting in the second chain from the hook, work a row of DC ( UK Terms. SC in US terms). 23 sts. At the end of the row chain 1 and turn.

Row 2: Work a second row of DC in the same colour. You are now going to join in your second colour by joining it in when working the Ch 1 at the end of the row. Turn.

  

Rows 3 and 4: Work two rows of DC in your second colour. At the end of Row 4 rejoin your first colour when working the chain. To save lots of ends just loop your first colour up the side of your work.

  

Continue working in rows of 2 colours, joining in your colours when working the Ch 1 at the end of the row. 
Work a total of 24 rows. ( WS )

Row 25: ( RS) Work a final row of DC and at the end of the row work 2 DC in to the corner stitch and then continue on around, working a round of DC down the left hand side, along the bottom of the square and up the right hand side, Remember to DC 2 sts in to each corner stitch, to stop the square becoming out of shape.


Once you are back at the top right hand corner, join with a Sl St,
finish off and sew in your ends.

To make the Bobbly Squares:


Row 1: Begin by making a chain of 24, and then starting in the second chain from the hook, work a row of DC ( UK Terms. SC in US terms). 23 sts. At the end of the row chain 1 and turn.

Row 2: Work a second row of DC in the same colour. At the end of the row Ch 1 and turn.

Row 3: ( This is Bobble Row 1 ) Work 2 DC. You are now going to make a bobble in to the third stitch ...... don't panic ! It's very easy ! Start by joining in your second colour, by putting your new yarn over the hook. Now work a TR ( UK Term. DC US Term ) but do not pull your yarn through the last loop, leave that loop on the hook. Work 3 more TR all in to the same stitch, leaving the last loop of each TR left on the hook. Nearly there ! 

   

You should now have one loop in your main colour and 4 loops in your second colour, all still on your hook. Bring your first colour back up behind the bobble and yarn over. Pull through all 5 loops. Gently pull the yarn that you have just made your bobble in to make sure it is well shaped.

      

Work the next 5 stitches in DC, in your main colour, keeping your bobble colour lying along the top so that it gets caught in to your DC as you work. You are now going to make a second bobble exactly the same as the first one. Your bobble colour should be right there ready to start again.Continue along the row, working 5 DC between each bobble. After your fourth bobble work 2 DC, Ch 1 and turn. At this point, leaving a tail long enough to sew in, cut your bobble colour.

    

So, to sum up, the pattern for Bobble Row 1 is DC 2 , make a bobble, DC 5, make a bobble, DC 5, make a bobble, DC 5, make a bobble, DC 2. CH 1 and turn.

Rows 4, 5 and 6: DC in your main colour, remembering to Ch 1 and turn at the end of each row.

Row 7: ( This is Bobble Row 2) Because the bobbles are staggered across the square Bobble Row 2 is slightly different to Bobble Row 1. 
Work 5 DC and make your first bobble in the 6th stitch. Work 5 DC, make your second bobble, work 5 DC work your third bobble, work 5 DC, Ch1 and turn.

Rows 8, 9 and 10: DC in your main colour, remembering to Ch 1 and turn at the end of each row.
Row 11: Repeat Bobble Row 1.
Rows 12, 13 and 14: DC in your main colour, remembering to Ch 1 and turn at the end of each row.
Row 15: Repeat Bobble Row 2.

    

Rows 16, 17 and 18:DC in your main colour, remembering to Ch 1 and turn at the end of each row.
Row 19: Repeat Bobble Row 1
Rows 20, 21 and 22: DC in your main colour, remembering to Ch 1 and turn at the end of each row.
Row 23: Repeat Bobble Row 2.
Row 24: ( WS ) Work a row of DC in your main colour.
Row 25: ( RS ) Work your final row of DC, continuing on at the end to do your border of DC all around the square, remembering to work 2 DC in to each corner stitch so that the square keeps its shape. Once you are back at the top right hand corner, join with a Sl St, finish off and sew in your ends.

  

You should find that the back of your square is beautifully neat as you worked your bobble colour continuously along the row in between each of your bobbles.



And there you have all three patterns.
 Hopefully I have made them clear enough, but please do shout if I have made any horrible errors ! How you use the colours is entirely up to you, as is the choice of squares you decide to make.



Once you have completed your squares pop them in a little package and send them to:

Jenny's Blanket Of Hugs
Leigh Cottage Childcare
6 Sladesbrook
Bradford-on-Avon
WILTSHIRE.
BA15 1SH
UK.

And don't forget to add a little card with your name and where your squares have travelled from.
If you are an IG er how about a selfie with your square under the hashtag
#jennysblanketofhugs

I'll keep you updated with how its all coming along 
and, finally,
thank you SO SO much for all your utter amazingness and fabulosity!
 xxxxxxx

13 comments:

  1. Hi Kate! I just want to say, on behalf of Jenny and I, a massive thank you to you for organising this and to everyone who has offered to help make this snuggly blanket for my darling girl. I can't really articulate what it's meant to us but we are both thrilled and very touched by it. I'm sorry I can't write more. It's been a long tough day today but knowing about Jenny's Blanket of Hugs has really helped! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful collection! I love the colours you've chosen! They come out so well in that first shot. Red and pink are great together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I hadn't read the whole post... I think that your idea of making a blanket for Jenny, Amanda's daughter, is so lovely. A blanket full of hugs and love. May they both find the strength to combat this new setback in Jenny's health.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful Kate and you have worked so hard. Thank you. I will be starting my squares for Jenny today xx Joy xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a lovely gesture! I saw your initial shout-out on IG and was overcome with the generosity and goodness of people. I probably will not be able to participate as my family is currently fighting some difficult battles and time is scarce (and then I usually sleep!). I really do wish you the best of luck with this project and my thoughts are with Amanda and Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a wonderful idea good old IG and well done you, sending them both nuhs and strength
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so very much for taking the time to give us a way to help. I was wishing that I could do something to support Jenny and Amanda but didn't know what, and you've found the answer! I feel so glad to be a part of this wonderful hooky ig community and hope the huge yarnie hug will help these amazing warrior ladies! I'd also like to offer my help with joining, I think you're going to need it! Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi- it's @suregal27 - I don't have that yarn, and it will take me 2 weeks to get an order to America (more because it sounds like they're out of stock) 2 weeks to make the squares (maybe 1? ) and 2 weeks to mail it to England. I'm in Hawaii now, and my internet is spotty for ordering, so add another few days. So perhaps I can't participate. At home I have Rico cotton Design essentials, but that must be slightly different. I also have Rico cotton in the Aran weight, but I'm sure that's very different. Oh well :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic idea, colours, pattern! Will get started tomorrow. Love it ❤

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kate, am so pleased you are organising this having followed Amanda and Jenny's story, being a fellow Little Box of Crochet subscriber and feeling the love and warmth come from the mother and daughter team, I cannot think of a better return thank you to them. you are a genius and I am delighted to be involved. My squares are all done tonight and tomorrow morning, Tuesday I will post them, think your first other squares may arrive tomorrow too... THANK YOU KATE x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for doing this Kate I think it is a marvellous idea. My day job is in a children's oncology service and I know some of our teenagers would think this a wonderful gesture. I have Stylecraft DK in some of the colours you have mentioned so I will see what I have and make my squares up at some point over the weekend having had a little practise of your patterns. They may end up being three plain or stripped squares as not quite at the stage of bobbles yet even with your tuition this is too important for me to get wrong. Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great way to use crea power to give Jenny a big hug and some love & warmth!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello it's very good all you do for Jenny good look for her and good crocheting for you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by - I LOVE receiving your comments and get really excited when I see a new one has been added. I read every single one and try to send a reply whenever I can. ♥