Verb: pootle
poo-t(u)l To move in a leisurely unhurried way,
with no real purpose


Monday 20 April 2015

WIP's are IP ...

 

It seems that the little nudge that I gave myself last week 
to get a bit of a wiggle on certainly seems to have done the trick !

I started by coming up with a cunning plan for the hearts -  
no longer making them one at a time, one after the other, 
but instead having a production line on the go. 
Totally all psychological and in my head I know, 
but by making all the tops together,


then all the middles,


 then all the stuffing 
and finally all the finishing off 
made it seem as though they were flying off the hook.


And before you could say " wedding just around the corner"
40 red hearts are done and dusted, packed into little bags
 and it can be ticked off the To Do list.

So then it was a swift move on from hook to needles for the next project. 
Well, maybe not that swift if I'm completely honest as
there's been a fair bit of uhmming and ahhing on this one.
I tried, I really tried with the Kidsilk Haze 
and I did really love it BUT it just wasn't doing what I wanted it to do,
 and then it was so fluffy, 
and slippy,
and a bit too sparkly 
and I couldn't get the tension right .....
so a bit of a U turn ensued, 
followed by a quick bit of internet shopping to buy more yarn.
I promise, promise I will use the Kidsilk for something else
 - just not my wrap for the wedding !

But just look at its replacement....
oh wow, this is yarn on a whole different level,
and a very special and self-indulgent treat for the Mother of the Bride.


So, I got terribly excited and wanted to crack straight on with it
 as the soon as the postman had made his delivery .....
but, no !
I haven't actually ever bought yarn like this before, 
somehow always going for the ones already rolled in to beautiful balls 
that are ready to go.
No problem I thought -
 I'll just use the wooden handles on the set of drawers in my bedroom to 
wrap the yarn around and we'll be off and away in no time at all.
Well, a couple of very infuriating hours later I had one rolled up ball of wool.
OH MY ! Did I get myself in to a pickle !!
A lesson has been well and truly learnt - 
there is no quick solution here, 
its a special winder or a daughters arms every time from now on !

But, that all behind me, 
I am very happy to have the perfect little tension square all made up 
and I am now ready to make a start.

The other highlight of my week has been putting the Uggs away 


and getting the Converse out
 ♥  ♥  ♥  
Whoo Hoo.



Happy Days.
If you fancy Pootling yours just head right over here ...
http://justpootling.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/ribbons-and-shoes.html


Oooh ... and I nearly forgot ...
I am now on Instagram ,..
just_pootling
another Whoo-Hoo.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Katie Katie how busy have you been. Sometimes we just have to give ourselves that little talking to, to give ourselves the motivation to get started. The little hearts are lovely. I can remember as a child helping my nan and mum with skeins of wool sitting their for what seemed like hours whilst they wound them into balls - happy days. The colour is gorgeous and I can't wait to see your shawl. I bet it's getting just a little exciting around your house now and the big day will be here before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in a similar yarny pickle with some beautiful, expensive silk yarn - you'd think that if they're charging a bomb for the posh yarn, the least they could do is wind it in a nice little ball so we could get to making straight away! ;-) Your little hearts are just too cute, you must be getting *so* excited! Cxxx PS soooo happy you're on IG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on the hearts, they're gorgeous. And that new yarn, oh it looks so delicious. Silk is my favourite. I've done the whole disastrous tangle thing, on far too many occasions. Not many willing yarn holders round here unfortunately. Keep on going, you're doing brilliantly. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little hearts are lovely, great idea to change the production method, it's so annoying when you know you're making progress but it doesn't feel like it. Your new yarn is absolutely gorgeous, despite being difficult and I love your 'pimped' blue Converse :o) Lovely to see you on IG. Have a great week. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hearts are lovely, the silk yarn looks beautiful; but those converse, now, they made my heart sing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your shoes are so cute! I love the hearts, you're a machine! Wow, that's a lot of work and they came out beautifully. I've never worked with silk yarn, what a treat. Well, I've embroidered with silk-blend needlepoint yarn but I haven't crocheted. I'm sure it will hook up beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by - I LOVE receiving your comments and get really excited when I see a new one has been added. I read every single one and try to send a reply whenever I can. ♥