Verb: pootle
poo-t(u)l To move in a leisurely unhurried way,
with no real purpose


Monday 21 July 2014

Creating Cushions .....

 
Cushions, cushions, 
lovely cushions !
( ooh I've said it too many times now and it sounds weird ... )
But today my post is all about them ...
It all started a few weeks back with a basket of extremely gorgeous Sublime Egyption Cotton
and the Little Woollie cushion pattern from Simply Crochet Magazine.


I had already decided that the cushions were going to be for the chairs in the garden
 so neutrals, a zesty green and a burst of burgundy seemed a good choice of colours.


I haven't made cushion covers before so what with my usual love affair for making 
blankets, in comparison, this little patterny square of 
loveliness just seemed to whizz along in no time at all.
There's also something very addictive about Jules' pattern because you really want to 
keep on going to see what each new row of pattern is going to look like.


Cover number 2 , in a slightly different colourway, was soon on the hook,


swiftly followed by an envelope style back in a neutral shade.


I managed to find some buttons for the back that go so perfectly with the wool 
you'd have thought I'd have commissioned them to be hand made !


For each of the two cushion backs I edged the square in the main colour
 and added a little strip of buttonholes.


On the reverse of the cushion  all of my ends were knotted 
securely and sewn down the side edge - another lovely bonus of cushion versus blanket, 
as all of this will be tucked away inside for nobody to see !


Joining the front and back couldn't have been easier as it was just a matter of 
double crocheting the two sides together all the way around the edge.
 
And here they are ...
in all their lovely stripyness.
And just to add an extra little scrumptiouness I added a border of 
bobbles all the way around the edge.


I truly love them.


They were so quick to make and I love how they look with the plain back as I think this
 really makes the patterned side stand out.
I love the contrast of the colour against the neutral back as well.


And this is where their new home is ...


.... on the two chairs in my little shady crochet corner


 right outside my back door.
 

49 comments:

  1. Oh they are beautiful!!! And they look right at home on your lovely garden chair! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. My my these are wonderful! You know how I love your colour palettes...I have my Crochet Club making these cushions, everyone has a copy of the mag issue and each month I teach them a new technique - it's a great 'sampler' for new hooksters, isn't it? And now I'll have your ta-dah to share with all of them! Thank you! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that Chrissie - but you're right , they're little samplers really aren't they ?
      Have a good crafty week, K x

      Delete
  3. oh they are beautiful......❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! I love the colours you've used! Gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Juanita - I think I'm a bit stuck on these colours at the moment ! K x

      Delete
  5. How pretty!!!! I love them in your little backyard cozy corner~Shari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shari, my crochet corner just seemed to be the perfect place for them ! K x

      Delete
  6. Kate they are absolutely gorgeous. L Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Kate these are beautiful and they look fantastic in your little crafty corner.

    Mitzi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're going to have to give them a go Mitzi - they are such fun to do, K x

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Hello Maria, thank you for dropping by. How have I never discovered your lovely Blog before ? I shall be back to visit again very soon ... K x

      Delete
  9. They look fantastic.The colours are very you, and if you want to bring them indoors in the winter, you'll know that they'll match the other things in your home. Lovely pattern. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't recommend the pattern enough ! And such fun to do, K x

      Delete
  10. They're beautiful, Kate! I love the colors and the way you did the backs with colorful trim. Really nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look great Kate! So glad you enjoyed the pattern, your garden area looks gorgeous! Thanks for the shout out too :) Have a great week, Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie, couldn't have done it without your pattern ! K x

      Delete
  12. Kate I just love what you create. Your blog is wonderful and the cushions gorgeous. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Pamela. Have a good week, K x

      Delete
  13. They are absolutely beautiful Kate.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Kate, your cushions are very very lovely and they are as happy as anything in their crochet corner!! The colours you've used work really well with the pattern - I fancy having a go at that pattern too! Have a great day, Sam xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give them a go Sam , you'll really enjoy making them, K x

      Delete
  15. I love the colour combination of your cushions. Your photo of the cushions on the chair looks like it is from a styling magazine, very professional, and I think I may have 'crochet corner' envy!
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caz, You're welcome to come and join me in my crochet corner anytime ! K x

      Delete
  16. They look great Kate, lovely colours and I love how the different patterns for the stripes create a mix of textures. Have a good week.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such beautiful cushions, Kate! And they do look perfect on your lovely garden chair! Enjoy your week :)
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Kate

    I have been following your blog for sometime but have not had the courage to contact you until now ( no idea why). I can't believe how talented you are. I love the blankets and these cushions are just my style. You make it seem so easy and quick.

    I have attempted to crochet but couldn't get past the first stage. Since seeing your cushions I am now more determined than ever to learn. My dilemma is would I be better going to a class or should I persevere with watching you tube. How long did it take for you to feel confident. Ps for my sins I am also left handed

    Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello, and thank you so much for dropping by and leaving a comment. Absolutely don't give up with the crochet because once you've got the hang of it you will be so pleased with yourself and if you're anything like me and all the other crochetaholics out there you will become addicted in no time at all. I think maybe you would find it helpful to go to a class, partly because its such a lovely thing to sit and chat with others who are learning too but also because you'll actually have someone who can encourage you along. Let me know how you get on !
    K x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate, thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I will definitely keep in touch.

      X

      Julia

      Delete
  20. they look Fab-u-lous :) Far far far too good to sit on :)
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill - I found the dog all curled up on one this morning ! K x

      Delete
  21. Would it be sacrilege to say I think I like the backs even better than the fronts ... I just love the bold contrasts and the buttons :)

    Nice work Kate x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't think it would Annie !! I think I love each side as much as the other too.
      K x

      Delete
  22. Beautiful cushions Kate, the yarn is just to die for!
    Have a wonderful weekend Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kate your cushions are beautiful! I have been looking at that pattern, but it is way beyond me :) I've just purchased some new yarn and when it arrived it made me think of you, it's putty and light blue....Sarah xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your cushions are beautiful Kate! (I've saved the pattern from the magazine too :-) ) I love the addition of the zingy green and they look gorgeous on your garden chair x
    Wishing you a happy new week!
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  25. They are brilliant Kate! And I love the fact that the back is as pretty as the front, but in a different way, so you get two cushions for the price of one so to speak! Clever you!
    Another pattern to add to my "want to make" list!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Kate, I am sure that I left you a comment, but I can't see it, so it must have got eaten! I love your cushions, they are beautiful!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by - I LOVE receiving your comments and get really excited when I see a new one has been added. I read every single one and try to send a reply whenever I can. ♥