Verb: pootle
poo-t(u)l To move in a leisurely unhurried way,
with no real purpose


Monday 10 February 2020


♥ Spring Sampler Shawl ♥


A couple of years ago I was busy designing, making and writing up the
 pattern for my Spring Sampler Shawl. The pattern was then featured
 on lovecrochet.com as a free Crochet-A-Long, meaning that across 4 weeks the
 pattern was published in 4 different parts so that people could work on the
 pattern at the same time, completing each section ready for the next part of the pattern.

 

I made two different shawls in two different yarn types and colour ways. 
I used a DK weight yarn and all the details are included in the pattern.


The idea behind the design was to have a piece of work that really showcased the detail 
and textures created by working different stitches. Each different band of stitches 
would then be separated by a strip of simple double crochet ( UK terms) for contrast.


As I wanted the stitch patterns to be the main focus of the shawl I worked the main
 stitch strips in the same colour throughout, and just used two different
 coordinating colours for the dividing strips to make the stitch 
bands really stand out.

 

I used 4 different stitches: Waffle stitch, Suzette stitch, Alternate Bobble stitch and
Zig Zag stitch. Within each part of the pattern Lovecrochet.com have even included
 short video tutorials showing how to work each different stitch technique.



 For the borders I worked three different designs, a ruffle, a plain edge and a bobbled edge.

 

Both shawls were so lovely to work on and there was something very addictive 
about seeing the pattern develop with each row worked. 






Whilst working on the shawls I couldn't help but think what a gorgeous blanket
 it would also make so included in Part 4 of the pattern are all the details
 needed should you wish to make a blanket. 
I made mine cot size and it has pride of place in my granddaughters cot ready
 for when she comes to stay.

 

It also makes a perfect New baby gift.



Below are all 4 parts of the pattern. 
Simply click on each one for the direct link.



Alternative yarns:  Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino
              Paintbox Simply DK
           Paintbox Baby DK
              Paintbox Cotton DK 

4 comments:

  1. What stunning shawls. I love the details of the different stitches and the soft colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cot blanket and the stitches so neat and even, I love the different rows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate, thank you for being so generous with your patterns. I have your book and I am looking forward to the next one as well. Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. I've used the waffle stitch and always like how much it shows up, really dislike doing the bobble stitch, have never heard of suzette or zigzag and will have to take a look at those. Love your color choices, very pretty. Spotted you on a mutual blog friends blog and thought I'd pop over for a visit. It's always fun to meet new blog friends. Swing by for a visit.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by - I LOVE receiving your comments and get really excited when I see a new one has been added. I read every single one and try to send a reply whenever I can. ♥