Verb: pootle
poo-t(u)l To move in a leisurely unhurried way,
with no real purpose


Wednesday 13 February 2019



 Crochet Hearts  



I have to admit - I do love a heart !
I wouldn't even like to hazard a guess at just how many
 there are hanging up in our house - 
whether they're wooden or tin or crocheted or painted, 
there's a home for them somewhere here.

Crochet hearts are a particular favourite though and 
there is just something so deeply satisfying about 
making these little 3D shapes.


I first had a go at making one of these about three years ago 
and I've lost count of how many different variations I have made since. 
The first one was as a trial to see if they would work as
 little Wedding Favours for my daughters wedding. 


Well, they did work and I ended up making over 40 of them !

The original pattern that I used is here if you fancy giving them a go.

They are also perfect for making little colour swatch hearts, 
I made these ones below when I was trying 
out the colours and yarns for my Spring Sampler Shawl

They make perfect stash busters too, 
with each heart taking only the smallest amount of yarn to make.


Since that first batch of hearts subsequent ones I have made have been 
tweaked and adapted until I have found my perfect shaped heart.
I think everyone has a preferred shape of their own.

I have even made some tiny little ones - perfect for key rings!

 

The most recent ones I have made are slightly bigger and fuller in shape
 and they were for the Heart Garland in my book.
You can find the pattern here


Also in the book is a pattern for a really simple flat heart. 


I designed this as part of my Wedding Wreath as I wanted to 
create the effect of a handful of heart shaped confetti.

 Book Photo by Emma Mitchell

With Valentines day upon us why don't you give Crochet Hearts a little try ?
I have to warn you though .... they are seriously addictive!

♥ 




1 comment:

  1. I have just scrolled through loads of your posts and reminded myself what a genius you are. Honestly, you produce the most beautiful things. And I think I shall have a go at a crochet heart. You have inspired me! I'll let you know how it goes. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by - I LOVE receiving your comments and get really excited when I see a new one has been added. I read every single one and try to send a reply whenever I can. ♥