Verb: pootle
poo-t(u)l To move in a leisurely unhurried way,
with no real purpose


Thursday 13 December 2018

♥  Oh my goodness - it's Christmas time again !  


How can it be that we're here again - and that a whole year has passed since my last post ?
Time has indeed flown !

Without a doubt this has to have been my busiest crochet year to date, 
obviously something which has been completely fine by me !
But the fact that the day job has had to continue throughout and 
that, since the Spring, we have had a huge building project going on at home 
 has certainly added to the fun and kept me firmly on my toes.

 

I think we all shivered our way through the first few months of 2018, didn't we,
 and with the arrival of the Beast from the East keeping warm
 was the first thing on everyone's minds. 

Crochet star mittens were the perfect, cosy answer to this !




I made these in the most delicious yarn from Willow and Lark 
and they certainly deliver on the snuggly front ! 
(You can find my free pattern for these either by clicking on the link under the photo 
or looking in the right hand side-bar of this page.)

With Spring taking a little time to appear this year my next project 
was designing my Spring Sampler Shawl which was a Crochet-A-Long
 Project on lovecrochet.com
Again I used Willow and Lark yarn, 
but lots of those joining in the CAL used different yarn types and 
all sorts of different colourways which was lovely to see.




To finish off the Crochet-A-Long I designed a small blanket in the same pattern. 
Mine was cot sized but details are included in the pattern on the stitch multiples
 so that the pattern can be adjusted to whichever size you prefer.




With the warmer months arriving things suddenly got extremely busy
 as CICO books contacted me to ask if I would like to write a crochet book !!! 
I know !!! 
Huuuuuuge excitement followed !!!

Once I'd calmed myself down I set to and starting the amazing task
 of designing 35 crochet wreaths and garlands. 

I can honestly say that I absolutely loved every minute of putting this book together.
From choosing the yarns, to coming up with the ideas, to sitting down and 
working out the designs, making each item and finally packaging all of the 
wreaths and garlands up and sending them off to the publisher to be photographed, 
every part of the process was totally absorbing.
For three solid months I was hidden under a big pile of yarny loveliness!

The total icing on the cake was seeing all the photographs as they came back 
from the photographer - I literally cried. 
They could not have been more perfect. 
They were exactly as I had hoped they would be, 
with the most perfect styling and backgrounds.

And here's the front cover - squueeeaaallll !



The book will be out at the beginning of March 2019 and
 I cannot wait to share it with you all.
I have even pre-ordered my copy on Amazon because I just couldn't resist !


                  Come June and with the book all safely sent off I was beginning to think about getting started on a new project when I had a call from Simply Crochet Magazine to see if I would be interested in putting together some designs for their annual Calendar.
Well, how could I say no ! And guess what the brief was ....to design four seasonal wreaths !


 This was the most wonderful project to be asked to do and whilst I did wonder
 if I'd still have enough ideas left to come up with four new designs, the ideas did
 indeed flow and you can see the results below. 
The calendar went out free with Issue 78 of Simply Crochet Magazine
 and is still available through their website. 

The Calendar not only contains photo's of the four completed wreaths 
but also gives you all the patterns that you need to make each one. 


 

 

As we headed in to the hottest Summer that we have had for several years 
my next project took me straight to December in one fell swoop, 
as I had been asked to design the very first Little Box of Crochet Advent Box.
This project had been ticking away at the back of my head for some time
 so it was lovely to finally be able to sit down and start the designing process.
With it being the middle of December now the Boxes have all been sent
 to their new homes and I am thoroughly enjoying following everyone's
 progress on Instagram as they each make a new, small Christmas decoration everyday.

The boxes were a sell out and as the response has been so good Amanda,
 from The Little Box of Crochet, has decided to release the book of patterns
 before Christmas next year for anyone who missed out this year.


 

To end the year I have recently finished making, and writing up the pattern for, 
my Christmas Blanket. Again, this project has been at the back of my mind
 since last December so it has been lovely to finally see it all come to fruition.



To finish the blanket off lovecrochet.com asked me to make a matching cushion
 and you can find the free pattern for this by clicking on the wording under
 the photo or by looking in the right hand sidebar of this page.



If you fancy giving the blanket a go you can find this pattern, 
along with the patterns for my polar Bear and Penguin,
 in the pattern section of lovecrochet.com 
or by clicking on the wording underneath each photo.





And so, at the end of a fabulously fun and busy crochet year,
 I'm going to sit and enjoy a good cuppa and a Mince Pie 
and take the opportunity to wish you all the Happiest of Christmas'
and I hope you too have many happy hours of crocheting in 2019.


 



7 comments:

  1. You done so amazingly well this year Kate! I was so thrilled when you said yes to designing our Advent Calendar Box and your patterns are just wonderful! Thank you for always being so lovely to work with and from now on please can we have all our business meetings in your local pub? Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😂 yes, I think it’s the perfect place for all future business meetings 😄! Big hugs xxx

      Delete
  2. These photos are really inspiring - only problem is i don't know where to start in picking one to do first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, that blanket is really my most favourite blanket I have ever seen! It will 100% be gracing my sofa before next Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see you back Kate. So lovely that you've had such a busy crochet year with lots of requests for your making skills, made even more exciting by the fact that you were self taught and not that long ago. Just goes to show what you can do when you put your mind to it.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, I am a stitcher with little crochet knowledge, but am totally entranced with your work. Margaret told me about your blog today and have so enjoyed reading it and have treated myself to ordering your book from Amazon. I need 48 hours in every day !
    Best wishes Andy Lloyd Williams

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by - I LOVE receiving your comments and get really excited when I see a new one has been added. I read every single one and try to send a reply whenever I can. ♥