Verb: pootle
poo-t(u)l To move in a leisurely unhurried way,
with no real purpose


Monday 16 February 2015

Just around the corner ...

Sitting on my kitchen table is the tiniest little hint that Spring may be just around the corner,
not that there's much sign of it today on this very wet and miserable Monday !


I think subconsciously I must be really willing it to get a wiggle on
because last weekend I found myself  ordering some new wool in 
an array of  beautiful, fresh Springtime colours.



I ordered some colours in Drops Cotton Merino and some in Rowan
Wool Cotton, both are gorgeously soft and more than pass the sniffability test.
( I'm sure I've mentioned before that I just cannot stop myself from smelling
 any new ball of wool, it is without a doubt one of the things that adds to 
the high of a new lot of wool.  Just me ? Or do you do the same ? )


The colours are all very similar in tone




but when put together have just enough of a subtle difference, 
which is exactly what I was looking for - 
nothing too strong or strident,
 just a soft palette of Spring. 
And this is what the wool was for ...


... some tiny Spring flowers.


I have had an idea at the back of my mind for sometime now that involves
 garlands and swags and roses and weddings. 
There's still a fair bit of the thinking process to work through but I 
thought a good first step would be to practice making a garland on a smaller
 scale and Spring seemed to be the perfect time to do this.


Lots of pattern hunting has taken place using books, 
Ravelry and the Internet,


and bit by bit I have 
managed to grow a little Spring garden.


I've a way to go yet but its been a very lovely way to spend
 a couple of dark February evenings.


Spring on a plate !

Just before I go I absolutely have to show you a couple of photo's that were sent to me by email a couple of days ago with such a lovely message that it just had to be shared !
It was from a lady called Jan and she writes:

I came across your blog by chance and really love all the blankets you make. I saw the daisy blanket and fell in love with it so much that I wanted to learn how to crochet. I started in September and learnt how to make a granny square first and then followed your tutorial on how to make the daisy square. I struggled on joining all the blocks together ( it's a bit hit and miss in places ! ) but I am thrilled with how my first blanket has turned out.

I checked that Jan was happy for me to share her pictures because , 
quite frankly, for a first blanket I think its absolutely beautiful and such a wonderful example of where there's a will there's a way.
 Thank you too Jan for taking the time to get in touch - it means a lot.



29 comments:

  1. I feel Spring is almost around the corner now I've seen your post. I think there is going to be a lovely garland made for Megs wedding before too long. Jan's blanket has turned out really well hasn't it and she should be very pleased with her first attempt at such a project and you should feel very proud of the fact that you inspired her to pick up a hook and have a go in the first place.
    Altogether a fantastic post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mitzi - yes, you've guessed it absolutely right - a garland for Megs wedding is definitely on my to do list ! Thank you for dropping by as always, K xx

      Delete
  2. How wonderful that you've inspired someone to make such a beautiful blanket. Love the snowdrops, real and crocheted xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snowdrops have been fun to do - fiddly but fun ! Kxx

      Delete
  3. Such beautiful signs of spring and such wonderful yummy new yarns!! Your flowers are gorgeous Kate! I cannot wait to see further progress on them. I love your friend Jan's blanket as well, it is so pretty isn't it and I think that she did fabulously for a first go at crocheting! Well done Jan and welcome to the international sisterhood of crocheting big blankets! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Jans blanket is amazing too Amy and LOVE that we all belong to an international sisterhood of crocheting big blankets - lol Kxx

      Delete
  4. Love your plate of Spring! I really like those white flowers, whatever they are...Snowdrops maybe? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, they say! So cool that you inspired a new crocheter. Her blanket is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, they are the tiniest of snowdrops. Jans blanket is beautiful isn't it ? K xx

      Delete
  5. Can't wait to see your finished pretty garland. You have inspired me to make one too after seeing your summer and autumn projects, I have got as far as buying the yarn so far! Been too busy with cowl which is now finished.. yay!
    Wow Jan's blanket is an amazing first crochet, will she be hooked now ? (apologies for dreadful pun) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh how exciting Fiona - one project nearly done and another already in the pipeline ! Yes, I fear Jan will be addicted too ! K xx

      Delete
  6. Your plate of spring looks lovely! That is such a nice feeling when someone learns something from you and then takes the time to tell you about it! Her blanket looks very pretty, a great first project. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Gail, I feel very chuffed about Jan taking the trouble to let me know how she's got on - I do love this world of crafty blogs ! K xx

      Delete
  7. Your flowers are so sweet and those colors are perfectly springy! How wonderful to have inspired a new crocheter, good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer - I think that's the thing that I love most about blogging - everybodies part in this big old share-a-thon, K xx

      Delete
  8. Jan's blanket is fantastic, well done Jan, and well done you for the inspiration. I love your plate of spring flowers, honestly, you are so good at this stuff. Everything I see on your blog is beautiful. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CJ - you are very kind, and yes, isn't Jans blanket totally amazing, K xx

      Delete
  9. Isn't it brilliant to inspire somebody? And to know that she may well inspire somebody and they will inspire somebody else and so on and so on... just as it always has been that crafters make and show and inspire, only now our circles are virtual and our friends may never meet in real life. The blanket is gorgeous and you should be proud to be the inspiration.

    But.... I *LOVE* the flowers you have made so far. I really adored how you set them out on the plate. They would look brilliant on a wreath that colour, or at least against the background of brilliantly spring sky blue somehow.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - its been a lot of fun making these little flowers - quite different to my usual enormous blankets ! K xx

      Delete
  10. How lovely that you've inspired someone to try something new, be proud, and well done to Jan on a brilliant first project; it's always a pleasure to visit here, packed with lovely makes and ideas. Your plate of spring flowers looks so cheerful and those balls of yarn look wonderful together. It's not so much the smell of new balls of yarn but the squidginess of them for me (I'm not sure how weird that sounds in writing!). Have a great week. Jxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, completely get sqidge factor as well ! K xx

      Delete
  11. What a gorgeous Spring like post! I've been working with the Drops Merino, and it's such a gorgeous yarn to work with. I think I shall be using it so much more in projects from now on. I love the depth to the colour in the strands, and it's so soft you can hardly feel it running through your fingers! Your flowers are so beautiful. I love your ideas for garlands and swags, and it's all looking so lovely.

    Have a beautiful rest of a week xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vanessa, lovely to have you drop by, I totally agree with you on the Drops Merino, its a dream isn't it ? K xx

      Delete
  12. Oh my word, I have just come across your blog, how have I not found you sooner!? Your photos are gorgeous, I am loving this little place in blogworld right now.
    Your kitchen table is looking divine. I am so ready for Spring now, I love seeing the flowers appearing in the borders and bringing in little posy's to enjoy indoors, roll on Spring and summer hey, i am so ready for some warmer days now x x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gem ! And welcome to my little bloggy space - I'm very glad you found me and you have enjoyed your little Pootle. Come back soon ! K xx

      Delete
  13. My newborn daughter is named Primrose, so your Spring plate made my heart sing! I wish I had your talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a perfect name, so dainty and so pretty, K xx

      Delete
  14. I've never found myself sniffing yarn - I do love the smell of new books though!
    Those dainty flowers are just so sweet! How lovely to make your own little spring garden :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a lovely spring like post, Kate! I love all your sweet spring flowers....I think crochet flowers are so tactile and pretty and yours look so perfect! How wonderful that you inspired a new crocheter too....her blanket is beautiful.
    Happy weekend!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your garland is going to be so pretty! And well done to Jan, I should take a leaf from her book!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by - I LOVE receiving your comments and get really excited when I see a new one has been added. I read every single one and try to send a reply whenever I can. ♥