Verb: pootle
poo-t(u)l To move in a leisurely unhurried way,
with no real purpose


Monday 8 December 2014

A little bit festive ...

Things are beginning to look a little festive round here,
 no tree just yet,
 but the Christmas Pixies are back.
 
 
The collection grows a little each year with another Pixie joining the family
and I love it when they come out of hiding just before Christmas to
bring their festive cheer to my kitchen.

 
The tree will hopefully follow this week and having decided to spread the decorating out a bit this year I am really enjoying the slower pace of getting the house ready for Christmas.
 
The Christmas present list is getting a little smaller as things get finished and ticked off one by one
- but of course it goes without saying that I wish I'd started a little earlier !
Two needles have taken the place of one hook lately as I have enjoyed getting to grips with one of the patterns in the gorgeous book of Christmas makes that arrived on my doorstep a couple of weeks ago.
 
Hayfields Knit Christmas, The big book of little Knits has some really beautiful patterns in it and the hot water bottle covers were the first thing that jumped out at me.
 
 
The patterns are really clear to understand and it didn't take long to cast on the few stitches needed and get started.

 
I wanted to slightly alter my pattern to enable the cover to be kept on when filling the bottle so I went a little 'off piste' when it got to the shaping at the top.

 
 
I particularly like this pattern because it has the little opening at the back
 - perfect for slipping chilly hands into on those winter nights.
I used a DK wool that I had won in Mitzi's Giveaway way back in the summer
as it's lovely and soft and was exactly the colour that I had in mind.
It all knitted up very quickly but a little extra something was needed.

 
So some little cream spots were hastily crocheted ...

 
... a little ruffle was added around the top ...

 
... and ...
Ta- dah !
Back
 
 
and front.


A quick search on Ebay discovered hot water bottles for sale for less than £2.00,
and that was it I was off ....


Still can't decide which one I like the best,
 

 
spots or hearts, hearts or spots...
think I'm probably veering more to the spots at the moment !
 
Anyway, enough chit chat there's lot to be done..

 
as the little Advent Pixy very helpfully reminds me..

 
... it's not long now !

 
 


21 comments:

  1. Kate I LOVE all your Pixie's...I feel like I need a Pixie in my life!!!! Your hot water bottle covers are gorgeous. My parents are getting me a learn to knit book for Christmas, can't wait to get started. Enjoy the run up to Christmas. Sarah xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah - I think we all need Christmas Pixies ! They make me smile a lot. Hope your Christmas makes are all coming along, Kate xx

      Delete
  2. Oh its all so lovely...and so classey! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen - think its a bit more bonkers than classy though ! My girls definitely think I'm one sandwich short of a picnic when I bring the pixies out every year. Have a great week K xx

      Delete
  3. Your hot water bottle covers are so cute !! Especially the one with the spots :-) !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup me too Ingrid - think its got to be spots all the way,K xx

      Delete
  4. Hello Kate, your Pixie's are wonderful, a really jolly display.
    Loving your hot water bottle covers, you have worked hard, knitting is slower for me but I love the neat texture it brings.
    No tree here but the lights are up and that makes me happy.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE fairy lights, have to admit they're an all year thing round here, K xx

      Delete
  5. Yes your pixies are sweet, where did you find them? They look Scandinavian. Gorgeous hottie covers and I love the ruffle edging, is it crochet or knitted? Wish I had more time...(sighs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fiona
      The Pixies are made by a company called Maileg, they're quite easy to find online and the ruffle edging on the HWB cover is crochet - very quick to do, just three trebles into each stitch all the way around, K xx

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that Kate, I'm going to try that ruffle edging it sounds easy enough, even for me! x

      Delete
  6. Wow they are great I think I like the spots the best too, perfect in these chilly times. I finished my last hand made gift today, just in time as I'm meeting the recipient for a Christmas lunch on Wednesday.
    Clare xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done for getting to the end of your list - bit of a way to go with mine yet, wondering where I could find some extra hours ! K xx

      Delete
  7. I love your Christmas Pixie display ~ it very festive. Your hot water bottles are both lovely but I think my favourite is the spotty one :O)xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie, think the spots are definitely winning so far ! K xx

      Delete
  8. It's looking beautiful and festive with you. I love the hot water bottle covers. I had a look at patterns on Ravelry the other day as I really need to make one. None of them were as nice as yours. Good job! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love the hottie covers!!! They are fantastic Kate. Your little Christmassy touches here and there make everything look very seasonal indeed! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pixie's are back!!! That must mean it's nearly Christmas.... The tree went up on Sunday and I am half way through wrapping up parcels. Colleagues all done and family yet to do. This year some of the work colleagues have a cowl made by me. The hot water bottle covers have really come a treat haven't they and has't the WI wool knitted up well. I still have my lovely grey I won in your giveaway. I'm sure something will spring to mind before too long and then I'll have just the right wool to use won't I. Back to the lists....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oo I love your hot water bottle covers - they look like they are made of gingerbread - and yes, I could eat them! I think I like the one with the spots on best, and the ruffles look like a squirt of cream!
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. It all looks lovely Kate, hoping to get our stuff out of the loft this morning and I have decorations that have to come out every year and go in the same place in the kitchen. L Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely hottie covers Kate, I especially like the little ruffled necks, love the pixies too. Enjoy the rest of the week.
    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by - I LOVE receiving your comments and get really excited when I see a new one has been added. I read every single one and try to send a reply whenever I can. ♥