Verb: pootle
poo-t(u)l To move in a leisurely unhurried way,
with no real purpose


Friday 26 September 2014

I ♥ Autumn ...

Autumn is my most favourite, favourite time of year.
  Spring comes in very close behind but if I had to pick out of the two it would definitely be Autumn. 
I think what I love about both seasons is the all enveloping feeling of what is to come,
with Autumn it has to be that Christmas is peeking its head out from round the corner
 and with Spring its the promise of Summer still to come.
 
But right now I am just drinking in all the loveliness of the beginnings of Autumn.
I love everything about it...
 
Pinterest
 
.... the paint chart of every possible shade and tone of earthy natural colour,
 
 
Pinterest
 
... the harvesting of fruit, chutney making and apple crumbles,
 
Pinterest
 
... the carpet of crunchy leaves underfoot
 and that completely unmistakable smell  of Autumn in the air.
 
Pinterest

I even love the drawing in of the days,
the feeling of hunkering down indoors and hibernating for a bit.
And then there's socks !
So many cosy socks to choose from ... they have to be the absolute ultimate in
snugglyness.
 
Pinterest
 
It'll be a while before we have the first fire of the season but as soon
 as it's lit I shall be there with my cup of tea, battling for a place on
 the hearth rug in amongst Lilou, Otto and Itsy.

Pinterest

Just to get myself in to the Autumn mood I spent a lovely hour or so a couple of weeks
ago putting together a Pinterest Autumn board.
And as is always the way one thing led to another, that little seed was sown in my head and I knew that I just had to set about making an Autumn garland for our fireplace.
 

Pinterest
 
As lovely as something natural would be I wanted to have a go at crocheting something.
 

Pinterest
 
One thing I was certain about was there needed to be acorns !
Lots and lots of acorns.

Pinterest

Wool was chosen,
Ravelry was scoured
and plans and patterns slowly came together.
 

The pile of leaves and acorns got bigger and
little bunches of acorns and leaves grew,
 
 
a long chain of crochet made the perfect branch

 


and with a little tweaking ...
 

 
and stitching ...

 


 
... a garland happened !
 

 
  Happy Autumn Everyone   
 
 
 
 
 
I'm just finishing off a post that gives all the details of how I made my
garland and I shall try and get it posted by next weekend.




41 comments:

  1. I love the onset of Autumn too. It's the snuggly factor that I love. As much as I do love the summer, I love the thought of snuggling under blankets and wearing snuggly socks. So bring it on now!

    Gorgeous garland too!

    Have a super weekend!

    Vanessa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's absolutely stunning! What a wonderful creation :) Also looking forward to the snuggling season :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen, you can never have too much snuggling in my book ! K xx

      Delete
  3. I love your garland! That would definitely be something I would buy in the shops. So talented...
    Lx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura, and lovely to have you drop by for a Pootle ! K x

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous post Kate! Your garland is just beautiful. It looks so lovely across your fireplace. It adds just the right touch for the time of year doesn't it. Happy Autumn! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those tiny little acorns! Much as I love summer I am so 'over' it and can't wait to start lighting the wood burner & snuggling on the sofa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too ! There's just something about acorns isn't there ? K x

      Delete
  6. I LOVE your garland - it's gorgeous. Just had a look on Ravelry - there are some great patterns aren't there? Oh dear, I can see another project to add to my list!
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The garland is so pretty !
    Another autumn lover here - nothing beats those warm fall colours....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just one word: fantastic!!! Well done you clever person! Take care, Corinne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Corinne, and thank you for dropping by, K x

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful garland. You're making me miss having a mantlepiece to put things on. I've not worked out where to use as an alternative in our new house yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Evelyn - hope a Mantlepiece Alternative springs to mind soon ! Have a lovely weekend, K x

      Delete
  10. It's absolutely exquisite, clever you. I really must learn to crochet and make beautiful stuff like this. It looks perfect above your fireplace. Enjoy the weekend. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cj, happy to give a lesson anytime !! K x

      Delete
  11. Autumn is my favourite month too. Everything about it from the colours the smell and stews. Love your garland it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, love a good stew, preferably with dumplings ! K x

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous garland Kate, it looks lovely with the soft glow of the fairy lights above. There's definitely an autumnal feel in the air here too, time to cosy round the log burner in the evenings methinks. Have a great week.
    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. A gorgeous garland Kate, makes me feel that I need to get up in the loft and get 'the autumn box ' down and start to replace the summer garland with a more autumnal one. Used to love Autumn at nursery, colour mixing those lovely shades, pumpkin activities and leaf printing to name a few! L Anne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne, yes, there's a fair bit of leaf printing going on at Nursery right now ! K xx

      Delete
  14. Lovely post, I love the fall, it just gives you that fuzzy excited feeling. :) Gorgeous garland, looks so pretty with the lights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gail, I love fairy lights all year round ! K x

      Delete
  15. Lovely autumn pictures, your collection captures all the things I love about the season. Your little acorns and leaves are really beautifully made! Happy autumn, Kate.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen, have a lovely weekend, K xx

      Delete
  16. What a fabulous autumn post this is! Your acorns and leaves are really cute. It is just the thing I would like to crochet myself if I had the time. But it's my daughter's birthday in 3 weeks and she wants to have a poncho, so all my crocheting time (which is not very much) is spent on that. You are really good in taking fotos, they just look great. Have a nice evening, Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Viola, good luck with the poncho and I hope you get it finished on time, K x

      Delete
  17. Such a lovely garland!! Love it, so sweet! Have a wonderful day, Happy Autumn! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Holly and thanks for dropping by, K x

      Delete
  18. Glad you enjoyed it Jooles, have a lovely Autumny weekend, k x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Autumn is definitely my favourite time of the year too...love your finished garland Kate...it looks so pretty decorating your fireplace...
    Happy Autumn to you too and hope you all have a lovely weekend!
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, hope you've had a good weekend too. K x

      Delete
  20. And what a very beautiful garland it is. I LOVE this Kate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie, it was a lot of fun to make . K x

      Delete
  21. I enjoyed this post so much. Your words and images were so evocative and I have to agree with you, autumn is my favourite too, with spring close behind. The garland is really lovely, just perfect colours and motifs. Beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous post Kate, I love autumn too. I adore your garland....it's just wonderful and looks perfect strung along your mantle.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by - I LOVE receiving your comments and get really excited when I see a new one has been added. I read every single one and try to send a reply whenever I can. ♥